10 reasons to learn Russian
You may be wondering why someone may wish to learn such a second language as Russian. Actually, there are several reasons why being able to speak other languages can be helpful. Listed below are 10 reasons why Russian should be on your list. Really, it opens so many opportunities that weren't available just a few years ago.
- Russian is one of only 6 official languages of the world and the fourth most spoken language. Nearly 300 million people speak Russian.
- You will be able to work for such international organizations as the UN, among the many translators and experts or in Russia itself.
- You will be able to communicate with locals in all of the Slavic and ex-Soviet countries, opening yourself up to new adventures. In fact, in Ukraine and other ex-USSR countries most people speak Russian fluently, while it is still not too common for regular people to speak English, not saying about other foreign languages.
- To read some of the world's most famous literature in its original language, as it was written by the great Russian writers and poets: Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Chekov, Lermontov as well as to watch classic Russian movies from Chekov's plays and other great writers.
- Russia is becoming a major player in the economy of the world and you can be part of this if you can speak the language of your potential partners or customers in Russia. You may even go over there to work.
- It will create many new opportunities that other languages like French and German won't offer and business is just one of such opportunities. By the way, Russia is now a member of the World Trade Organization.
- To be able to explore the rich culture and history of this amazing and once "off-limits" region of the world.
- To learn of the tsars and famous Russian royal heritage and the colorful history like that of the Cossacks and various ethnic groups living there.
- To study at some leading universities in Russia itself or in Ukraine. These educational institutions attract students from different countries and the graduates are working in many countries all over the world. There are so may reputable Medical, Law, Aerospace, Engineering and Language schools to choose from.
- Travel to Russia, experience all aspects of this old country firsthand and speak to the locals and see how they live compared to Western Society.